==========Recipe for Healthy Spanish Tortilla=======
Prep the sweet potatoes
1) In skillet: boil water + dash of olive oil, fresh ground pepper and 1 tsp dried thyme
2) While water is coming to a boil, slice 2 med. sweet potatoes thinly and into 1/2 inch strips
3) When water is boiling, slide sweet potatoes in to cook for 8-10 minutes or until a wooden spoon can split a slice easily.
4) Drain and cool, place aside on counter
Prep the mushrooms (white, or i prefer: baby portobellos)
1) Wash a handful of mushrooms (about 8-10 small baby portobellos) and slice thinly
2) In sautee pan, on high, drizzle a thin layer of olive oil (about 2 tbl depending on size of pan), 1 clove small-minced fresh garlic clove or 1 tsp of dried garlic (what I use in a hurry), fresh ground pepper.
3) Add mushrooms in to cook, push around with wooden spoon to get all sides browning, then add 2 dashes of red wine. Turn heat down to med-high until wine simmers away into the mushrooms....mmm smells so good! Scoop out mushrooms and set aside to cool. Return pan to stove for the chard.
Prep the chard / spinach or whatever dark leafy green you have
1) Chop up about 1-2 cups worth of chard leaves. (I used red chard)
2) On high, drizzle olive oil as before, add fresh ground pepper, sautee chard very quickly for less than 1 minute. When the leaves are slight wilted, remove from pan and place aside.
Now for the eggs and tortilla combo!
1) I like to use Omega-3 eggs--more nutritious! Scramble 5-6 eggs with 2 dashes of low-fat milk (for fluffy-ness) in a mixing bowl.
2) Prep and clean skillet. Turn skillet on med-heat to be sure there is NO water. Then, when you can see the skillet is truly dry, drizzle a thin layer of olive oil. Spray also with spray oil to get the edges NON-STICK.
3) Put in a layer of eggs, enough to cover the bottom of the skillet to the edge, about 1/3 of your egg mixture. Turn heat down to med-low if your skillet is browning/cooking your eggs too quickly. Add in sweet potatoes, drizzle 1/3 of egg. Wait 20-30 secs, add in mushrooms, dizzle in rest of egg mixture, add greens.
4) Cover and wait for the eggs to fluff.
5) If the egg is still runny within 2-3 minutes, take a spatula to cut the egg in half, and flip onto a plate and replace the tortilla back into skillet upside down, carefully, to finish cooking the other side.
6) Slip the tortilla (1/2 at a time, because I'm not talented enough to flip it) onto a plate. Garnish with 2 tbls of parmesan cheese, and slices of fresh basil (or other fresh italian herbs). Use the spatula to press the cheese and herbs into the tortilla so it melds nicely.
7) Cool and slice into 8-12 slices like you would a pie. If you want to take it on the go, let it cool completely before putting into travel containers or ziploc bags.
***Nutrition note: Sweet potatoes have more nutrition and fiber than regular potatoes. The alcohol in the wine cooks away, leaving you a dash of antioxidants that is not only good for you but makes the mushrooms tastier. Not washing the pan between the mushrooms and greens allows you to have the greens soak up the flavors from the mushrooms, but you're able to control the cooking time, careful NOT TO OVERCOOK the greens. The vibrant color of the greens is helpful for taste and keeping the nutrients.
Yogurt Cake Recipe
3 years ago