Tired eyes from the computer? Seeing fortieth, fiftieth birthdays around the corner? Take care of your vision!
When people lose their vision, it gets harder to keep up your cardio exercises and maintain good posture for your spine.
Another great article from Eating Well magazine, with great explanations on which foods have what nutrients and how those work with your body, from a nutrition professor at University of Vermont.
Summary here, with my commentary
1) Up your antioxidants Vit. C food ideas - citrus, kiwi, broccoli Vit. E food ideas - nuts, avocados Lutein and zeaxanthin: leafy greens like spinach, kale, and collards If you need ideas for healthy recipes, search this blog for some easy recipes
2) Eat (whole) eggs And I say, get the free range omega-3 eggs--these chickens were fed with omega-3 grains including flaxseed! Eggs boiled or scrambled make a great breakfast and starts your day right.
3) Help yourself to more “see” food - get your omega-3 fatty acids and zinc Eat at least 2 servings of fatty fish per week. Inexpensive small fish like sardines and herring can be tasty as a dip. Smoked herring with greek yogurt, dill, and fresh black pepper makes such a yummy omega-3 and protein packed appetizer dip! If you eat salmon, make sure it is wild-caught and not sick farm-raised. If the restaurant menu does not say wild, it is not wild.
4) Consider a supplement As much as I like to cook, I honestly don't have time to get fresh wild caught salmon every week, and I don't get my omega-3 fatty acids regularly. I don't like spinach enough to eat 3 cups of it every day. I don't like taking too many pills, and excited to find a line of supplements that I can drink as a healthy cocktail: antioxidants, multivitamin, and vision health. Omega-3 supplements are best carried with Vitamin E in a gel capsule form, so I just have to swallow this one.
5) Keep your blood pressure—and your weight—in check If you live in LA, it is a driving town and you need to schedule in your cardio workout and you can't leave it up to chance. If you have a walking lifestyle already, give yourself some new challenges because the brain "adapts" to habits and you need to give yourself some changes to get the brain and body working smarter. With the great weather, why not sign up for one of our fitness hikes? Walk as much as you can--park your car farther from your shopping destination. Walk to support your local merchants and meet your friendly neighbors for a better sense of community. Need help losing weight or addressing specific health concerns? Sign up for a F.R.E.E. 20 minute phone consultation to learn more about wellness programs.
Complementary 20 min phone consultation to help you design your program for optimal health! Special for a limited time only. Figure out your nutrition so your health goals are in action! Email embodyhealth at gmail dot com to set up your appt!
Learn to use your computer and desk without pain.
Practice breath techniques to reduce back and eye strain.
Structure better nutrition into your life so you can think and work at your best!
Baby and Me Fitness
Learn to workout and shed the baby weight while bonding with your baby.
Prenatal and Postnatal Fitness
Athletic Conditioning for the Marathon of Labor
and Being a Mom
Breath Techniques for Better Cardio & Stronger Abs
You're increasing your cardio, but hitting a wall? Breath techniques can get you past that! And can you imagine that you can tone your abs while you're *not* doing crunches?