Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Get the good fats for a smarter brain and stronger heart health


Is your memory not as sharp as you'd like it to be?
Worried about cholesterol?
Did you know that omega-3 deficiency is the 6th biggest killer?
::::::

Get your good fats!
Hear all about it!

Get your good fats!
Tasty good fats!

Yes, essential fatty acids (omega-3) are needed for brain function and heart health and our bodies can't produce them. Here's an article summarizing a Harvard health study

I prefer to get my nutrients through food, but some days, I don't want to deal with possible digestive issues or a fishy breath (especially since I sing!). So on the days I know I'm not getting my omega-3 through food, I take an omega-3 supplement with my dinner--a fish oil supplement that has high quality control, and free of heavy metals because it is derived from small fish. Small fish don't get the metal toxification the way big fish do. You also want wild fish whenever possible, and not farmed fish that may have been fed corn and other unnatural feeds that actually make them sick. My favorite fish entrees are grilled wild salmon, or sea bass with herbs and mushrooms baked in parchment paper.*

Food ideas:
1) Smoked herring dill dip (easy can from Trader Joe's or any specialty food store)
~~~ approximate recipe~~~
* 1 can smoked herring
* 1 ripe avocado (optional--get it creamier and you get your other omegas from the avocados!)
* 1 cup greek yogurt (more protein and thicker than regular yogurt, but feel free to use regular yogurt)
* 3 tblspn chopped fresh dill
* freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
* optional squeeze of lime
This can make a great dip for snacking with sweet potato chips (more fiber than regular potatoes!)
If you like sardines, you can use the dip recipe idea above. I personally can't get myself to like sardines because they are muskier in taste and found the smoked herring is just more my style!

2) If you're eating pasta or mac and cheese--add smoked herring.
Ends up tasting like tuna casserole. Use fresh herbs like lemon thyme or italian parsley to lighten the taste of the canned fish. Always find an opportunity to sneak in more vegetables like peas or chard into your entree.

More ideas about herring can be found on Wikipedia. It's a less expensive alternative to wild-caught salmon.
Read about an omega-3 cookie from an older post: walnut pumpkin cranberry cookie recipe.
*baking an entree in parchment paper in my toaster oven lets me not work for my dinner and let's me multi-task and check my email while dinner is quietly and cleanly cooking in its own juices inside a parchment paper. easy dinner!

No comments: